Navigating LGBTQ+ Terminology: A Guide to Understanding and Respect
Language plays a powerful role in shaping our understanding of the world. When it comes to the LGBTQ+ community, using inclusive and respectful terminology is essential for fostering understanding and affirming the identities and experiences of individuals within this diverse community. In this post, we will explore common LGBTQ+ terminology, provide insights into the meanings behind these terms, and offer guidance on using them respectfully and inclusively.
💡Note: Though this guide is helpful to understand common terms, each person has unique experiences that may change personal definitions of these terms. Always be respectful and refer to people in the manner they wish to be recognized. If you’re not sure how someone wishes to be identified, all you have to do is ask! Asking, so that you can get it right, is respectful.
LGBTQ+: Unpacking the Acronym
The acronym LGBTQ+ stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, and the “+” symbolizes the inclusion of other diverse identities. Understanding the individual components of the acronym helps us acknowledge the unique experiences and challenges faced by each group within the community.
Sexual Orientation Terminology
- a) Lesbian: Refers to women who are emotionally, romantically, or sexually attracted to other women.
- b) Gay: Often used to describe men who are emotionally, romantically, or sexually attracted to other men, but can also be used as an inclusive term for the entire LGBTQ+ community.
- c) Bisexual: Describes individuals who are emotionally, romantically, or sexually attracted to people of both their own gender and other genders.
- d) Pansexual: Denotes individuals who are attracted to people of all genders or regardless of gender.
- e) Asexual: Represents individuals who experience little to no sexual attraction toward others. Asexual people may still experience romantic attraction.
The acronym usually doesn’t stop there. Watch this video for some more helpful information on the rest of the letters.
Gender Identity Terminology
- Transgender: Refers to individuals whose gender identity differs from the sex assigned to them at birth.
- Cisgender: Describes individuals whose gender identity aligns with the sex assigned to them at birth.
- Non-binary: Represents individuals who do not exclusively identify as male or female and may identify outside of the gender binary.
- Genderqueer: Denotes individuals who reject the traditional gender binary and identify outside of the male/female categorization.
- Genderfluid: Describes individuals whose gender identity fluctuates over time or in different contexts.
Other LGBTQ+ Terminology
- Queer: A term that has been reclaimed by some individuals within the community as an inclusive and expansive term for various sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Questioning: Describes individuals who are uncertain or exploring their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Ally: Refers to individuals who support and advocate for the LGBTQ+ community, even if they do not personally identify as LGBTQ+.
- Outing: The act of revealing someone’s sexual orientation or gender identity without their consent.
- Pronouns: The words used to refer to someone’s gender identity (e.g., he/him, she/her, they/them). Respecting and using correct pronouns is essential for creating an inclusive environment.
A Language Of Pride: Understand The Terms Around LGBTQ Identity from Dictionary.com
By familiarizing ourselves with LGBTQ+ terminology, we can foster a more inclusive and respectful society. Remember, language is ever-evolving, and it’s important to approach terminology with an open mind and a willingness to learn. By using inclusive language and respecting individuals’ chosen identities, we can create a world where everyone feels seen, heard, and valued. Let us strive to build a society where LGBTQ+ individuals can live authentically and without judgment.
Out & About with TriPride
Want to know the latest on TriPride? Sign up for our monthly newsletter series, Out & About, where we recap latest activities, upcoming events, and other exciting updates about us!